Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dizzy with exhaustion

Max was up till 4:30 AM packing for his trip, and I stayed up to help as best I could.  He really had to engineer his bike crate to meet the specifications required by the airline.  He took his trike apart and fit most, but not all of it in the crate.  The seat wouldn't fit - not no way, not no how.  Luckily it fit in his big suitcase.  There was a lot of weighing and measuring going on - and once the trike was all packed, we struggled to get his big suitcase under 50 pounds, trading things from it to the duffle bag back and forth several times.  In the end he decided to check both bags as well as the crate and only carry on his laptop.  Both bags were very heavy and awkward, but none were over the weight limit!

So after a tiny bit of sleep, it was time to get up and get to the airport.  We stopped along the way to get some packing tape and some carry on food so he wouldn't have to rely on airport dining.  I dropped him off outside of Southwest Ticketing - he rented a cart to put his crate, big suitcase and duffle bag on and push them into the airport.  He kissed his mom goodbye and off he went on his adventure!

He left a message that it all went remarkably well - easy - and instead of charging him $50 extra because the crate was over-sized, and another $50 extra for the third bag - they only charged him $50 for the extra bag.  Cool!

Max has a funny way of projecting his needs out to the universe and having them met as hoped and planned.  Not that he doesn't also do the work needed, but honestly, sometimes what he hopes seems a bit far fetched, and then, low and behold, he gets just what he wants.  Maybe not in the romance department, but with most other stuff he does!  So it is not as worrisome as it might be for me that he is really winging this trip a great deal.  He has no firm plans, no firm schedule, and he did NOT train at all, though I kept bugging him to do it - he just didn't have time.

I was doing some filing while he was here for the last couple days and told him to look through a growing collection of his mail I'd been saving - which he did.  I guess I'd saved it a VERY long time, because there was a check from 2009 - the return of a deposit for an old apartment he lived in during his UVU days for $170!  He rushed off to the bank with it, and they said it was too old, and the issuing bank also said they couldn't honor it when it was 2 years old.  So he called the apartment office and they said to bring it in and they would issue a new one!  It will come in the mail shortly - and I can deposit it.  Timely!  That will come in handy for this trip!

I was loopy driving home from the airport - if I'd been stopped and tested for sobriety, I probably would have failed though I haven't had a drop of alcohol since I was 16 - so tired, I'm too old to pull all-nighters and still function the next day.  But it was worth it.  Hope Max gets some sleep on the plane and that all his luggage arrives with him, safe and sound.  It will be too late to do anything but hang out at the airport till tomorrow morning.

Now for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment